I forgot to post my designated new-pictures-of-the-day yesterday. So here is the post to make up for that terrible mistake as well as post a couple of pictures from today, in the last four. I have a minor (major) preoccupation with new spring growth at the moment, so enjoy.
1. Virginia waterleaf
19. Increasingly sappy cottonwood buds
18. False rue anemone. I predict that within two or three days some of these will be flowering. I noticed a handful with fat little flower buds on Saturday or Friday, but most of them aren’t that far advanced yet. Currently they are well in the lead in the early spring wildflower race in our woods.
17. False rue anemone
16. How the day lilies around the bases of some of our pine stumps look. I counted at least 46 new shoots yesterday. We started with just a modest few last year or the year before, I think.
15. Recently-opened pine cones in one of the trees on the north side of our house. I think I heard them opening, actually. I was sitting on the front lawn and it sounded like there was a campfire somewhere off in the distance. When I went closer to the pines, the popping noises seemed to be originating from them. On the other hand, I Googled something like ‘pinecones popping noise’ and stumbled across someone who thought the same thing I did, but who got roundly shot down by an experienced nurseryman. Hmmm.
14. I love how bright and green this grass is and wonder what’s been nibbling at it already. I’m looking at you, rabbits.
13. More boxelder buds; these are two of about two or three dozen suckers arising from an already scrappy-looking tree down in the woods
12. I believe this is a black ash twig
11. I think this might be false rue anemone
10. Boxelder buds
9. Same as 5, I think
8. I’m not sure what this is. Trout lily? The newer, still-furled leaves are spotted kind of like trout lily.